During the weekdays of December, we're sharing one tool per day. We're calling it our Google Gifts series. Some of these come directly from Google, and others are tools that enhance Google Apps or Chrome. Today, we're sharing Flippity: Random Name Picker.
Teachers, get your bookmarks ready because you are going to want to use this site often! It is truly a gift for every teacher at every level.
Instructional methods regarding grouping changes based off of the best delivery method for a particular lesson. Teachers consider instructional strategies such as whole group, teams, groups, pairs, and individual work. Flexible grouping supports differentiated instruction by allowing students to collaborate with classmates based off of readiness, interests, learning patterns or simply being selected at random. Flippity is the perfect site for quickly grouping students randomly. Seriously, I am Flipping Out over Flippity! You are also able to use Flippity as a random name picker. #NoMorePopsicleSticks
How to Use Flippity in Four Steps: The directions can be found on Flippity: Random Name Picker as well
Step 1: Modify the Google Spreadsheet Template
- Make a copy of this template. (You'll need to sign-in with your Google account.)
- Edit the names to match your class. Side note: you can always add more names
- Rename your Google Spreadsheet
Step 2: Publish Your Spreadsheet
- Go to File, Publish to the Web…, then click the Publish button.
- Copy the link under the Link tab.
- Click on the Get the Link Here tab of the template (at the bottom near #1)
- Paste the link in the light green cell (A3- #2) to get the link to your Flippity Random Name Picker (#3)
Step 4: Click, Bookmark and Share
- Click on the Flippity.net link to pick a random name, lineup, group, team, or seating arrangement.
- Bookmark the page to find it again quickly.
- Add a bookmark for each class
- You can add names to your Google Spreadsheet any time and it will automatically update your class list on Flippity! Woo-Hoo!
Check out this lineup below. It is a random list of students, but the view provides students a heads up of the order. To check out other views click here.